Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Debbie Does Music: Shawn Mullins


As a busy mom, being a hipster is hardly likely. After I get three boys to school, get some exercise in, run errands, do laundry, blah blah blah, there is a good chance I missed anything hip on any given day.

But what that does mean, is when I hear a voice I love, I’m excited, and it’s New To Me Music!! I don’t care if it’s a year old, a decade old, or released today. And if you are busy, you may feel the same way.


We can’t all be cool, and I wear my “Uncool Mommy Blogger” crown proudly.

Today I’m all excited about Shawn Mullins. His new album, well, new to me (it actually came out in October of this year), Light You Up, is FANTASTIC! The album’s namesake song is hot! Serious make out session song (for those young hipsters, anyway). The rest of the album is definitely more of a country feel (he is from Georgia, after all) than the radio hit, but it’s all good. He even has a song titled The Ghost of Johnny Cash (the only country singer I truly have loved). Tinseltown is a keeper, as is California. This is not your daddy’s country music.

As I get excited about New To Me Music, I sometimes wonder “where the HELL have I been??” This is his 18th album, it’s not like he’s a newbie. Oh ya, that’s right, I have three boys, ages 10, 7 and 7, I’ve been in a cloud of non-hipness for a good portion of those years. But, baby, I’m back! DDM is here to let all you mommies and non-hipsters wear your crowns with pride as well.

An added bonus, you can get Shawn Mullins (New To Me) album, Light You Up, for $5 if you get it on Amazon this month. That is a bargain for some truly good music. Give yourself an early Christmas present today, or a late Hanukah present! You will be glad you did.

Printed by permission. Visit Debbie's blog @ http://www.exurbmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment