Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Debbie Does Music: Thrift Store Cowboys


Do you tweet? I do! You can find me @debbiedoesmusic. I find tweeting keeps me up to date with local and big named bands, as well as some of my favorite venues.
Last week, I found out from Twitter that a band I love was going to be at The Mint in LA. Then, a surprise! The Mint tweeted a contest. The first person to tweet “I’m going to @tscowboys @MintLA tomorrow” would win free tickets! I was on my blackberry retweeting before you could say “Thrift Store Cowboys”!

I got the tickets, booked a sitter, and headed to LA on Saturday! the show was intimate and amazing. At a small venue like The Mint, you can actually hang with the band members before the gig starts. So, I sat and chatted with Amanda Shires and Daniel Fluitt about life on the road, writing music, writing stories and cowboy boots. They were even polite when I dropped my “cool” attitude and started talking about my kids! When we finished chatting, the opening act, Warren Jackson Hearne, a guitar picking’ man Johnny Cash himself would approve of, took the stage.

After a brief intermission, Thrift Store Cowboys took the stage for about an hour and a half of some great alternative country music. Their newly released single,Scary Weeds, is definitely a great song, if you like them slow. I can’t wait for the release next month of the entire album,

Light Fighter. Their serious lyrics and dramatic blend of guitar, fiddle, lap steel and even accordion make their sound something you start craving the more you hear. I totally love Beneath the Shoes off their 2006 album Lay Low While Crawling or Creeping, I think you will too! Check them out, it’s as easy as a search on itunes.










Printed by permission. Visit Debbie's blog @ http://www.exurbmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment