Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Dish - A critic's review of Lupe's Mexican Restaurant


Jul 2010 - Okay, so it's been approx 16 years since we last visited Lupe's Mexican Restaurant in Thousand Oaks. I promised myself years ago never to return. Let me explain...

Years ago, I remember visiting this dive and ordered a dinner with family and friends. The meal included a small salad. However, I was informed by the waitress that they were out of lettuce but would be willing to provide shredded taco lettuce for my salad. I declined and asked for a cup of their albondigas soup instead. That is when the waitress explained to me that soup was not an option - it would shredded lettuce or nothing. Soup Nazi goes Mexican? Forgive me please.

So years have gone by and people continue to eat at Lupe's. The restaurant has been remodeled and looks quite nice with a patio that is very inviting. I told my wife today that we're going to Lupe's to give it another try.

We sat on the patio facing TO Blvd and were immediately served chips and salsa (not very spicy). I explained to the waiter that it's been 16 years since my last visit and possibly he could suggest his favorite entrees. Of all the items on the menu, he told us to stick with the chicken tacos or the pork chops. So we each ordered 2 chicken tacos and a side of beans.

While waiting for our food, we noticed the other diners were older than us - mostly senior citizens. And the servers? They were straight from the Carrow's / Coco's / Dupar's generation.

The food arrived quickly and the taste? Well, it was possibly the most bland Mexican food we had ever tasted. We tasted more tortilla than chicken. The taco included tomatoes, olives and cheese. None of these ingredients had any seasoning. I guess the taste was just right for the demographics that eat at this famous TO institution.

Now please understand, there were others in the restaurant and when we were leaving, diners were just arriving. Lupe's has a following in Thousand Oaks. We just feel there are many other restaurants in the county with better Mexican food. It took 16 years to visit them, perhaps we'll pay them a visit again in 2026.

No comments:

Post a Comment