Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Food in Life - A Blog by Jen: Zucchini and all things sparkly


You remember the movie "the Secret of Nimh"? Jeremy the crow who is clumsy as hell, helpful to a fault and cursed with a severe case of ADD has a tendency to lose focus in a seconds time anytime he sees a "sparkly".

This is how my brain works.

I have not ever been diagnosed with ADD by a professional, but am convinced that at a certain point in my adulthood it came on (much like my allergies) and I have not been able to get rid of it.

Example:

Conversation between me and BFF via cell phone while driving to work

Me: "So what did you do last night?"

BFF "Oh god...you remember (insert boy name)? He called and wanted to take me out!"

Me: "That's awesome! What did you say?"

BFF: "He said he was sorry and that he wa--"

Me: "Oh! A bunny!"

BFF: Silence

Me "Go ahead, sorry....I got distracted"

Black mark in friend column. Fortunately she knows me and still loves me.

Its not that I don't care or am not interested by any means...I have just found that I am stimulated visually and sometimes a phone conversation isn't the best way to keep my attention. Especially if there is a cute bunny or a hot police officer on the road to take my attention away.

This evening I tasked myself with gathering camping goods for this weekends getaway with the BFF and was stoked that I was thinking as far ahead as I was. Got to Mom & Pops house, went to see if I could do anything for dinner preparation while mom was showing a house. Scoped out the garage for tent & sleeping bags. And walked by the zucchini plant.

Sparkly!

Wouldn't it be a great idea to make zucchini bread tonight? All those huge gorgeous squash just begging to be made in to something delicious.

And so I did.

I baked 2 loaves and 24 mini muffins of zucchini bread at 6:30 at night just because I can and wanted to. One loaf will go to my Dad's workers, because they are awesome and helped not only grow everything on the ranch, but also caught our dinner tonight last time they went fishing. One loaf will go to my Grandma because I love her and she will enjoy the heck out of it. And the muffins will go to work with me to the ladies I love.

I just popped 1/2 a muffin in my mouth and Dad's as a sample and boy am I glad I have ADD that enables my to make something so tasty at a moments notice.

And I still haven't found the tent for the trip....but I will eventually.

Enjoy at your leisure and if you need some zucchini to make it, hit me up because we have a TON!

Quick Zucchini Bread

3 Eggs
1 1/4 Cups Oil
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Cups Shredded Zucchini
2 Cups Flour
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Cloves
*Optional 1 Cup Chopped Nuts

Heat oven to 350, grease a 9x5 loaf pan.

Beat eggs, sugar and oil until well blended. Add in zucchini and vanilla. Blend in all dry ingredients and mix well. Blend in nuts at this point if you are adding them. Pour in to a loaf pan and bake for about an hour and a half. A toothpick inserted in to the center should come out clean.

Printed by permission. Visit Jen's blog @ http://foodinlife.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment