Sunday, January 9, 2011

Debbie Does Music: Brandon Nathaniel, an Interview


When you are young, and have had a dream for 10 years, it is a big deal. When it comes true, it’s pretty amazing. This Friday night, Brandon Nathaniel’s dream of performing with Toad The Wet Sprocket, his musical inspiration since childhood, is coming true! He will be opening for the band at The Key Club in LA on January 14th. Tickets are available here.

Brandon and I chatted about the experience, about his musical career, and his trip to Utah over the holidays.

DDM: so…how was your trip?

Brandon: Pretty amazing! I reconnected with some friends i have out there that i haven’t seen in years.

DDM: I saw you were doing some writing while you were there. I love facebook status updates!

Brandon: I was. I am. Working on some new songs

DDM: Oh good!! That’s always good! So the trip was inspiring I guess?

Brandon: To say the least.

DDM: Awesome! Can you tell me what the inspiring part was?

Brandon: Ya, the change of atmosphere and pace. Cold weather. I have a strong affinity for cold weather and I think that all the people I met, and things I thought about while taking a break from a busy reality got me to thinking, which gets me to writing!

DDM: That’s great! You also played while there, right? Where did you play?

Brandon: A private show was set up at my publicist’s family’s house in West Jordan, which is in the Salt Lake Valley. Lots of family friends, and people who have heard about my music came to see me play and just hang out and have a good time

DDM: Nice! House Concerts are big! KC Turner in San Francisco is really promoting this kind of thing.

Brandon: They’re more intimate than larger venue shows, granted there’s nothing like the thrill of playing live on a stage, but getting to meet and talk with each and every person who is listening closely is very rewarding

DDM: So lets talk about influences. I know Glen Phillips is a huge influence on you. He is so talented! Why Glen (for those who don’t know much about him)? And who else?

Brandon: Well I grew up listening to TTWS. They stemmed from Santa Barbara and I spent my younger years in Oxnard. There was a lot of buzz about them and their music was always playing in the house while my mother forced us to clean. lol. Their music was a huge part of my childhood and musical development thereafter. As far as other bands/artists, I have a pretty big ear. Was obsessed early on with classical music, until i got that 90s sound, then after that i was hooked on anything with an acoustic, organic sound. I’m also a huge Snow Patrol fan.

DDM: Nice. So you grew up with music? Parents musical? How did you first start?

Brandon: Not a drop of musical background from any family members. My uncle gave me a keyboard as a gift when i was about 5 years old. I took a couple months of keyboard lessons, then used the material they gave me (books, lessons etc) to teach myself the piano and to read music. I was playing classical Beethoven by ten years old, then finally picked up the guitar 4 years later.

DDM: Wow! That’s impressive! Were your parents wondering where the heck that all came from?

Brandon: I think it was a surprise to them that rather than being a normal ten year old kid who was into ten year old things, i was spending hours sitting in front of a musical instrument. I still wonder if they were maybe worried about me, haha. But ya, I was told later on that one of my great great grandma’s played piano and sung.

DDM: lol. I can relate. I have a 10 year old who is not into what most 10 year olds are. But he dropped guitar (along with his younger brothers) after 6 months. I’m hoping at least one of them gets back into it.

Brandon: I think it takes a certain attention span to devote the time needed to learn to play.

DDM: Let’s hope! So, once your parents figured out you really loved this, how did they encourage you?

Brandon: Well I was finally upgraded to an actual “piano” when i was about 13. they gave me some continued lessons, but i just worked better on my own. I was watching aPBS program one morning and saw this older man playing the classical guitar, and i was watching the way he was playing and thought to myself “I could so do that!” and the very next day asked my dad to buy me a guitar, and within a couple months I had my first acoustic and still have it to this day. On a side note, I was homeschooled from 3rd grade to my freshman year of high school, so i feel like i wasn’t influenced by anyone outside of my own realm. I kinda lived in my own world and it gave me all the time in the world to practice as much as i want and just not have distractions.

So my parent’s decisions to homeschool me and to give me the tools needed to progress, even inadvertently, benefited me greatly

DDM: Awesome. My 10 year old is begging to be home schooled. I did for his 1st grade year, but with three boys, it’s so hard!

Brandon: I can imagine. My parents have 3 boys, I’m the eldest. We drove my sister nuts.

DDM: Wow. (By the way, I joked with Brandon last week about what makes a cool mom. I told him most young artists I interviewed said their mom’s were named Debbie. There was a long pause…and Brandon said…”actually…my mom IS Debbie too!” HA!) Did your mom home school all 4 of you?

Brandon: No, just my sister and I. My first younger brother wasn’t born till mid 90′s then youngest 5 years after that.

DDM: So you have a brother who is like 10?

Brandon: 15 and 10, yes exactly

DDM: Wow! either of them into music?

Brandon: 15 year old i’m pretty sure is tone deaf, but is an amazing artist. absolutely stunning artwork. The 10 year old is, and can sing, and I’ve tried teaching him. but nowadays video games and the other distractions out there don’t give him the ample time to sit down and practice.

DDM: Yes. Video games. It’s a shame. The video (game) killed the radio star.

Brandon: haha that is so true, or the Mozart’s out there too. Killed them or at least slowed them down.

DDM: Ya. that is a huge plug for homeschooling. And throwing out the games.

Brandon: Yea, I agree with it. all geniuses are socially awkward anyway. But at least they’re geniuses.

DDM: Except for me! ;)

DDM: So, you decided to go to high school instead of homeschool?

Brandon: yea after a few years of not having too many friends, I was ready to go back, and did so my freshman year. Like a sheep to the wolves that was. I didn’t know what to do, so, i stuck close to my guitar. I carried it everywhere. I wasn’t even in any music classes. Just played on every lunch, break, before/after school, it didn’t matter. i was a scrawny 100 lb kid carrying a huge dreadnought guitar in a big black heavy case everywhere i went.

DDM: And that got you friends?

Brandon: Lol! Ya, I made friends, many of which i still see today! Then my sophomore year transferred to a newer high school that was built in the area lived in and started to get more involved in music. The choir teacher even made me a deal to get me to join his class

DDM: Good! Where did you go to High School ?

Brandon: Capistrano High School first my freshman year then Tesoro High School. I graduated with two of the guys from Local Natives. I think that school is a breeding ground for entertainers.

DDM: Wow! I’d say so! Ok, so you graduated High School, and then…college? Diving right into the music scene?

Brandon: Banking. I started working 9-5.

DDM: Wow. didn’t see that coming

Brandon: Lol! I didn’t really get serious about getting into the music scene until about March of last year. I always wanted to play but i didn’t have a goal in mind. I just knew I had to work, and once you start working those kinds of jobs, you get “stuck”.

DDM: ahhh…yes… for me it was an insurance industry job for seven years. I know how it goes.

Brandon: I tread water for years trying to figure out how to ultimately stop working and do what I loved to do. And finally did so last year.

DDM: Wow. Big step. How did you financially pull it off (I’m not going to ask “rob the bank?” )


Brandon: Ha! Nope! I saved a little. I sold everything, got rid of everything I didn’t need and have kept it on a “as needed” basis. I’m much happier when I live simply. I also played shows here and there.

DDM: So living in OC, you can still live simply? Alert the press! ;)

And so now you have a manager and a publicist, and a record?

Brandon: Yes. Working with management, PR and have a pressed ep which was released beginning of summer last year.Once I released the ep, I cut my ties working a job, and never looked back.

DDM: Inspiring!When you make that decision to be true to yourself IT WORKS!!!!

Brandon: YES!! I felt like i had to make a decision, because it wasn’t being made for me. and i needed to just do it. I’m a happier person for it and I just feel more honest with myself too.

DDM: And next week you play at the Key Club opening for TTWS!!!!

Brandon: SIX days exactly! I can’t even begin to describe my excitement. Obviously to play alongside them but to see them as well. I havent seen a live Toad show since New Year’s Eve 2001 at The Roxy. I was about 16. its been almost exactly one decade. I hold this show coming up so dear to my heart I don’t think anyone “could” know what it means to me unless I told them the amount of influence they’ve played in my life.

DDM: It has gotten me all excited too! I love a good live show, but what I really love are the stories like this, behind what is the “show”. I am not musical in any way, besides knowing what I like! But I love a good story. This is a GOOD story, Brandon! I’m excited for you! Stories like this are why I write!

Brandon: Aww, thank you!! I’m glad I could be a part of it!

DDM: You are it!

(at least this week! ) hehe

Brandon: haha! Its funny, I’ve actually met Glen (Phillips) twice! Once 10 years ago, and again last year. I flew out to NYC to see him play with WPA at the City Winery. I think the coolest thing is, that even though he’s met thousands of people I know he knows who I am. Which to me is just awesome.

DDM: WPA will be at hotel cafe on 1/25!! I’m soooo there!!!

Brandon: I’ll be joining you then! WPA is amazing.

DDM: So, tell me your band member’s names and how you all came together

Brandon: Gustin Flaig (drums), I met Gustin last year at a show i played in Tustin. i shared the stage with Tori Blake, who is an upcoming pop singer/songwriter. He’s been working with her for awhile.

Bobby Hasbrook (elec guitar) Bobby and Gustin are good friends, since childhood. I asked Gustin if he knew anyone that could play my style of music and would want to play some awesome shows and Bobby showed up right away.These guys are the most dedicated musicians i have ever played with

Phillip Nguyen (bass) I met through my friends that played behind me previously. He was willing to come on board and play behind me when I played at the Roxy and opened up for Paul McCartney’s guitarist Brian Ray. Phillip rocked.

DDM: So, you guys are ready?

Brandon: We are ready and even ready for an encore song should the crowd desire!

DDM: Nice! I’m looking forward to it! Any new songs?

Brandon: Most definitely. I always write. it’s the most important thing to me next to performing. I’ve written probably over 100 original songs. Going to be playing all new material besides “Can’t Believe” which is featured on the EP.

(and also featured here, on DDM folks, take a spin on the mp3 player to the right)

I was really impressed with Brandon. He has a love for music that is inspiring. And he is definitely on his way to something bigger! Take a listen, become a fan, and support young artists, like Brandon!

Printed by permission. Visit Debbie's blog @ http://www.exurbmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment