Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hop Head Said - A Blog by Curtis: Magic Hat Brewery


I came across this blog interview by Pintley.com and I needed to share it with you. Magic Hat is one of my favorite breweries and not because I like everyone of their beers. I don’t, in fact I may enjoy less than half of their beers, #9 is one that I do, but I love that they are trying something new with almost every batch. This adventuresome spirit works for them and their loyal drinking fan base. For example, you won’t find a style printed on their labels. You can approximate a style for each one of their beers but they are very good at taking a base style and twisting back and around again so many times that it becomes hard to recognize.


I had the pleasure of visiting their brewery in Burlington, VT a few years ago. You get a feel for their brewing attitude long before you walk through their doors. A giant rusted sheet metal tower thingy with cut out shapes stands out above their main building beaconing you to their door. A surreal carnival-like image that promises to be fun but as you get closer you realize it was probably put together by a two fingered ride mechanic. ”Have no fear, you will be safe once you get inside” my inner voice was telling me and was I glad I listened. Their “gift shop” has more of that carnival freak show atmosphere except there are no carnies but there is great merchandise not to mention samples of their beer! A perfect mix if you ask me.

Published by permission. Visit Curtis' blog at http://hopheadsaid.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment