Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hop Head Said - A Blog by Curtis: The Perfect Pint: Goblet


In an effort to expand on the “education” part of my “Beer reviews, etiquette and education” motto, I am continuing my series of posts that will focus on beer glassware. Specifically, I will be talking about the glass’s shape and why that particular glass is an appropriate vessel for a specific beer style.

This week I will be discussing my very first “specialty” glass the goblet, an Orval goblet to be more precise. This is a well made sturdy glass with the Orval Monastery logo of a fish and ring on it. Ten years ago, I had to special order Orval and have it shipped to me directly from Belgium if I wanted to taste its special blend of sweet, sour and spice. Nowadays you will be able to find Orval and its matching glass in any self-respecting beer store. If you were going to purchase a goblet, I would recommend this particular glass simply because I have had it for at least ten years and except for the fading logo (I recommend hand washing this glass) it still looks new.

goblet

Goblet

Belgian ales (specifically Abbey or Trappist) are commonly served in goblets because their smaller size, usually 10 or 11 oz, moderates consumption of these bigger or higher ABV beers. Belgian ales are brewed to be consumed warmer than most other styles so don’t worry about that cold beer warming up in your hand while you drink it. The goblet has a nice bowl shape that fits comfortably into the palm of your hand for a reason, to warm it up. So feel free to cup your goblet in your hands while you enjoy your next Abbey or Trappist ale and note how the flavors and aromas change as your beer warms.

I don’t recommend goblets for many other beers simply because of their wide mouth which may be second only to the nonic pint glass in terms of surface area. Only a highly carbonated, full flavored beer will be able to hold any kind of head in that glass.

Published by permission. Visit Curtis' blog at http://hopheadsaid.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment