Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hop Head Said - A Blog by Curtis: The Perfect Pint: Tulip Glass


In an effort to expand on the “education” part of my “Beer reviews, etiquette and education” motto, I am continuing my series of posts that will focus on beer glassware. Specifically, I will be talking about the glass’s shape and why that particular glass is an appropriate vessel for a specific beer style.

This week I will be discussing my favorite glass style the tulip. Its elegant yet functional shape will enhance almost any beer and in my opinion, it is as close to the perfect glass as you can get. I have several of them in my cupboard now and they are used almost exclusively. The only time I stray from using this glass is if I am enjoying a weissbier (not big enough to hold that enormous wheat head) or a lager (the thin walls allow this beer to warm a too quickly).

Tulip Glass

Tulip Glass

Tulip glasses can come in a variety of sizes and have either a wide or narrow “bowl” that sits on top of a stemmed foot. The defining characteristic of a tulip glass is in the top third where the glass gently tapers in and then flares out at the opening. Without the flare the glass would be called a snifter. The taper helps create a dense head and the flared opening fits the lips nicely. Some tulip glasses even have a small laser etching at the bottom of the bowl which causes a constant stream of bubbles to cascade to the surface.

Any beer looks beautiful in a tulip but be careful when pouring a bottle conditioned beer into one of these glasses. The yeast sediment at the bottom of these bottles is easily agitated and will cloud up the beer quickly preventing you from enjoying the crystal clear presentation your beer deserves.

Published by permission. Visit Curtis' blog at http://hopheadsaid.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment