Monday, November 29, 2010

Debbie Does Music: Local Singer/Songwriter Showcase



This past Saturday night I had the opportunity to watch and photograph some amazing young talent in my area. Although this was a local setting, it could have happened just about anywhere. Unsigned young talent, acoustic setting, a panel of expert judges and a room full of family, friends, some professional musicians and singers, all there to witness the finale of a competition that started in July.

And there was some great new talent. There were young pups with guitar in hand and some with accompaniment thanks to talented friends and family. I’m going to showcase a few here because I really truly enjoyed their efforts. If you would like to see any of the artists from that night, check out the ustream video in it’s entirety from Zoey’s Cafe.

The winner of the Showcase was Mimi Gilbert, an 18 year old from Ojai, CA. I’m sure we’ll be hearing more from Mimi as she begins this journey in the music world. I hope she sticks with it, it’s a tough road.


Something I’ve been noticing, and it rang true at the finale as well, is a phenomenon I think that’s been going on over the past few years with singer/songwriters. Rather than it being a category of musicians (someone who writes their own music and sings it), it has become a genre of sorts. It’s as if singer/songwriter is a synonym with folk/acoustic/alternative. Throw in indie and you have yourself a genre for sure. I’m in no way saying this is a bad thing, for I really love a good folk/indie/singer/songwriter. Some of my favorite talent fits perfectly into that genre.

However, I think, like most trends, it’s going to get old. Fast. And then what? What about singer/songwriters that can’t sing like Jack Johnson or Norah Jones? Are they still considered singer/songwriters? Or do they have their own category? Alt fusion, perhaps? It’s almost an epidemic. Except epidemics are usually featured in the news as scare tactics. This only gets scary when the untalented step on stage. I’ve noticed that even then, though, folks seem to go along with the spirit of the singer/songwriter and chalk up off-key and out of tune to alternative. Go figure. Maybe it’s something I am missing the boat on. But I’ve heard enough good (and bad) artists to know the difference, I think.

Although I liked nearly all the performers on Saturday, there was only one that stuck out, almost as if he was shouting “I’m not like the others!” and really, his passion, near anger at times, really WAS different. Elijah Behar would fit my Alt Fusion category, I’m sure of it. He technically is a singer/songwriter, but not the genre as much as the category. I spoke with Eli to learn a little more about what makes him go outside the box of the “singer/songwriter” genre.

“I’m very connected to what I’m singing. I may come across as angry, but it’s only what I’m feeling about the song. I actually felt really connected to the audience once on stage.” Behar said he knew from the beginning he wouldn’t win the competition, he was too far outside the “box” to be the favorite, but with this being only his second live acoustic performance (he’s the front man for the band Marquee from Ventura, since 2008, so he’s had band performance experience), I thought he did exactly what he should have done. He represented Eli. Not a genre.

I get that it’s hard to define yourself when you start something new. Influences come from everywhere. Heck, I deal with that as a writer (and a mom!) it’s not easy being true to yourself when it’s so easy to see what others are doing, and compare yourself to them. I say kudos to all the singers/songwriters, whether they are in the category or the genre, as long as they are doing it for the right reasons.

Printed by permission. Visit Debbie's blog @ http://www.exurbmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment