Thursday, February 3, 2011

Debbie Does Music: Live Shows: DDM Produces Mom’s Acoustic Night Out!


Last week I had a moment where my two lives collided. My mom life, and my music life came together for a good cause! I produced a Mom’s Acoustic Night Out at my kid’s elementary school. Singer/Songwriter Mikey Wax, from New York, played for a small group of mom’s at Sumac School in Agoura Hills. It was intimate and fun.

I got the idea for the show when Mikey, whom I interviewed back in November, was promoting a “house concert” series in California. His goal? To get more people to know his music and his name. His strategy is unique and fresh (hmmm…that’s why I liked it!) If you can round up 25 of your friends at your house, he will come play…for free! In return, he promotes himself. He sells merch and asks for your email address to add to his database.

Mikey Wax, photo by Watts Juniper Production

Being an indie singer/songwriter these days means you need to have at least a basic foundation in marketing yourself. Mikey has at least that! He has been doing house concerts for over a year in different parts of the country. I think he fell in love with California last week, the temperatures alone made it worth his time. But the mom’s at our show definitely made it fun. “You are a refreshing group of moms, I’m really glad to be here!” (He’s savvy too!)

I didn’t want this to be a run-of-the-mill school event, so I came up with some cool ideas myself. I asked for the concert to be held in the library, not the Multi Purpose Room (can you say stark??). I turned off the overhead fluorescent lights and brought in lamps and candles. I offered hot tea and baked goods. I even made lanyard style passes for tickets. It was definitely a cool event for some hip moms! The only down side? It was on a Monday night and we didn’t sell out. But the upside was a small group of lovely ladies swooning over the voice (and looks, he’s a doll!) of Mikey Wax.

Printed by permission. Visit Debbie's blog @ http://www.exurbmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment